Mary Carter Greenway Trail Detour
Project description: A section of the Mary Carter Greenway trail, underneath the Hamilton Street Bridge in Sheridan, is closed until further notice, while concrete repair work is done on the bridge. Please follow designated detours around the site.
Anticipated Construction Dates: 2013 - TBD
Project Contact: Brett Collins, Director of Planning, Building Infrastructure and Construction, 303-483-7021
Temporary Detours 2014
- Big Dry Creek Trail south of deKoevend Park near University Blvd. underpass - heavy equipment activity on the west side of south bound University concentrated in the open space. Please be aware of construction traffic near the trail.
- Big Dry Creek Trail north of Dry Creek Rd. - heavy equipment activity on-trail concentrated in the open space. Please be aware of construction traffic on-trail.
- The detour for the tree removal closure on the Big Dry Creek Trail between the Big Dry Creek Trail East Trailhead and Broadway will be on Wed., Apr 23. See map of detour.
- Holly Open Space - heavy equipment activity on-trail concentrated in the open space. Please be aware of some construction traffic on-trail.
- Mary Carter Green Way Trail from Council Gove Bridge south to Reynolds Landing-Please be aware of some construction traffic on-trail and possible temporary detours.
- Reynolds Landing - heavy equipment activity off-trail and off-parking lot concentrated in the open space to the west of the parking lot. The eastern most sidewalk is closed, but a detour to the western sidewalk allows access to the port-o-let, shelter and trail system from the parking lot.
South Suburban is dedicated to the improvement of its facilities, parks & trails for the good of the community. Projects are listed by earliest start date. Please check back periodically for new projects.
Big Dry Creek Trail in Cherry Knolls
Project Description: Big Dry Creek Trail work in Cherry Knolls Park south of Arapahoe Road, North of East Easter Avenue. Creek armaments and Trail stabilization work.
Project Construction Dates: March 15 – April 15 Urban Drainage and Flood Control is the Owner / Operator of the Project with Left hand Construction as the sub contractor.
Project Contact: Shawn Wissel, Shawnw@sspr.org
Willow Creek Trail at Dry Creek
See Project Map.
Project Description: The project scope is comprised of three separate trail segments:
1. Willow Creek Trail from E. Dry Creek Rd. to S. Quebec St. – redevelopment of existing deteriorating asphalt trail with concrete trail.
2. Willow Creek Trail south of the Willow Spring Service Center – replace 800 linear feet of the crusher fines trail with concrete trail to eliminate wash-outs.
3. Willow Spring Open Space – develop a 4’ wide crusher fines trail on the east side of the open space, near an existing habit path to provide better access to Homestead Elementary and residential on the east side of Willow Spring Open Space.
Project Construction Dates: Trail construction completed
Landscape Restoration: March-April 2014
Project Contact: Chad Giron, Park Planner II, phone: 303.483.7020
Littleton Community Trail Phase 1 Construction
Project Description: Installation of a crusher fine trail from W. Prentice Ave. to the flume in Slaughterhouse Gulch Park and installation of a crusher fine trail from W. Ridge Rd. to the Lee Gulch Trail. This is phase 1 of a multi-phase project.
Mary Carter Greenway Rest Stop
Project Construction Dates: November 2013-April 2014
Project Contact: Brett Collins, Director of Planning and Development phone: 303.483.7021
The proposed improvements include removing the existing port-o-let restroom located along the Mary Carter Greenway Trail by the 7th
tee box at the Littleton Golf Course and replacing it with a two sided flush restroom facility with a picnic shelter, tables and drinking fountain. A concrete trail will also be constructed between the Mary Carter Greenway trail and the golf course cart path to accommodate multiple user groups.
Project Construction Dates:
November 2013–April 2014
Project Contact: Chad Giron,
Park Planner II, phone: 303.483.7020
Highlands 460 Trail Improvements
See Project Map
Description: Trail improvements will be made to the existing informal path near Arapaho Park. The informal path exists from Big Dry Creek Trail south across S. Monroe Way through the City of Centennial’s Open Space and terminating at S. Adams St across from Arapaho Park. The trail improvements will include widening the existing informal path to South Suburban’s District standard of an 8’ width for crusher fines trails. This project will address the steep grade near Big Dry Creek and create a safer route to access the existing stepping stone at Big Dry Creek. This project is jointly funded by South Suburban Parks and Recreation and the City of Centennial.
Project Time Frame: Fall 2014
Project Duration: TBD
Project Contact: Steve White, Stevew@sspr.org, 303-483-7024
Temporary Construction until Mid April 2014
Hudson Gardens - heavy equipment activity off trail concentrated in the open space to the west of the gardens from now until mid April.
Lee Gulch Overlook - heavy equipment activity off-trail and off-parking lot concentrated in the open space to the west of the parking lot.
South Suburban Parks and Recreation is committed to continuously improving our stewardship of the resources entrusted to us by our Community.
about the sustainable measures we implement to save tax dollars, improve the health of our residents, improve the natural environment, protect natural resources and save energy.